Saturday, October 17, 2015

Legal-eazy . . .

After beginning to clear the land I needed to find a way to secure the property legally. The problem became:

  1. The woman who was selling me the place didn't have her name on the deed.
  2. There was a will, but nobody seemed to have a copy of it.
  3. I had no money to buy it even if I could.
I dug around for a while inside of the shipping container, looking for a copy of the will. We found a bunch of documentation, but no will. There was a letter from the lawyer claiming to have written it and a business card as well. So things looked good until I found out that the lawyer had died, his office closed, and we hit another dead end.

Some time went by before I began looking for another way through this all. We could see all of the way, every way, except for the way to buy it. So I dug into the stuff I already had, looking for a clue.

Eventually I found a clause in the tax seizure law that said that once there was a judgement for seizure. any relative could redeem the property by paying the tax, a penalty, and a fee. I thought they would deed the property over to the person making the redemption, turns out I was wrong; but I did have enough confidence to make a plan to pay the taxes. Eight thousand dollars I simply didn't have and couldn't see a way to get. So I put a fund raiser thermometer on the refrigerator door and we began saving. We needed eight for the county, one for a lawyer, and one for the woman who was signing the contracts.

By late August I could see that we would have the money for the taxes, might have the money for the woman, but there would be no way to have the Lawyer money, so I began studying up on writing the contracts myself. Turns out I would have made a good lawyer.

We paid the taxes and filed the contracts with the County with three days to spare before they would have taken the property for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment