Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Another Weird Anniversary: The Bucket Hen

We have some anniversaries we like to keep, even if they are not all too important. Today is the third anniversary of another weird event at Creekside Farm. I originally posted this text to Facebook. . . 

Yesterday I found a young Rhode Island Red hen had somehow squeezed herself up under a five gallon bucket, which was turned upside down on top of the chicken food container. I found her when I went out to put new food into the container. She was stuck for some period of time, I'm guessing days.

I immediately picked her up and took her to the automatically filled water dish and put a container of food next to her as she drank. She had her fill and walked out to the sun to dry herself out.

Poor thing looks a little bit bent, but she made it through the night and will likely be okay as time goes on. We hope that she makes a full recovery, but for now she looks a little bent and is being called the Bucket Hen.

Now - this was a  few years ago. The Bucket Hen didn't make it through one of our flock culls, when we gift the chickens to the Vietnamese, so she's no longer here. We often call our older hens Collete, but that's a different story entirely. "Bucket" was my favorite hen for a few years but I doubt she ever gave us an egg.

The Bucket Hen story is one that might never get a mention. 

No comments:

Post a Comment