Sunday, September 8, 2019

Sept. 8, 2018 An easy week

It seemed that the past week proved itself to be of little difficulty. The crops came in well. The weather a bit cool, but nice right up until Saturday in the late afternoon.

With the cooler weather, Ann had little trouble weeding the Gardens and put out a bunch of Chrysanthemums to begin propagating the multitudes we will need. I had spent some time looking at the Japanese people's love of  'mums and thought we needed to start adding them to our future Fall planting plans. We have quite a lot of Spring and late Winter flowers, and a fair amount of Early and mid-Summer plantings as well. But the Fall color is still needed so we began with planting 'Mums for division in the Spring.

The Market Garden put out a fair amount of produce.this week. Ann sold quite a bit of it and gave a bunch to people who have helped us out during my my healing weeks. We also ate a whole lot of it and prepared a bunch for freezing to eat in the Winter months. We haven't got the space for canning or we would have done it this week. There is still plenty of season left for harvesting and we are looking forward to it all. 

I spent the week on my feet without any trouble at all. I saw the foot doctor on Monday and he told me that my foot is pretty far advanced in the healing process. I'm guessing this is because I take my own counsel over his and work the bone harder than he would have me do. All of my other injuries are nearly insignificant now as well. 

Since we are expecting puppies in early October I spent the week building an eight by eight foot addition to our tiny home. This involved putting up a deck and some short walls, then putting a hoop house styled roof on it to keep the rains out. I got it finished just as the rains came in. We moved all of our door hanging coat racks out there and this opened up quite a bit of space in the tiny home. We will eventually move the chest freezer out there when Laffee Taffee moves into the house for whelping. The space will become puppy play-land after a few weeks of growth and the Hounds Winter home after the puppies leave us in December.

We spent Saturday moving things around to get ready to build the Summer Supper shelter. I had already leveled the space last week, but the surrounding area had a lot of parts on it that made the place look disorganized. I tilled the area in front of the new shelter to knock any rocks or trash to the surface and we will rake all of it up this week. 

The Summer Supper plans are going forward with two weeks left to go. Make sure to RSVP using the form at the top of this page to let us know you are coming. As was last year, there will be plenty of everything. The menu is simple Burgers and Dogs this year, but also Ann's Camp Creekside Chili, which is delicious and not at all too spicy, so don't miss it. We're really looking forward to the Supper and hope everyone comes that can.

Next week is mostly taken up building the Summer Supper shelter. This will will eventually become dry space where we can begin accumulating parts for the new house. We may get the County's go ahead this month, but the rains will come too quickly for us to start building this year. Buying parts is going to take a while and we need to save as much money on parts as we can by shopping sales and closeout places.

The statistics tell me that quite a few people are reading these posts. I would do them even if nobody was reading, but I appreciate the time people take in keeping up with our progress. Thanks to all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment